Considered one of the most underdog beats main contender moments in football history, the Maracanazo. Brazil, playing at the Maracanã, were in an unstoppable form.
They were so uncontested that some press had already started declaring Brazil the new world champions in the days before the match with the streets packed like it was Carnaval in Rio de Janeiro.
This may have been one the biggest energy fuels that Uruguay needed to see the trophy on the horizon and run towards it as a predator waits for his prey.
As Varela (Uruguay´s captain) said from all his heart and soul: "Muchachos, los de afuera son de palo. Que comience la función" ("Boys, outsiders don't play. Let's start the show").
The final result of 2-1 settled by Alcides Ghiggia was the final call with the secret to success being on the non-defensive approach, with La Celeste taking control of the game, crowning them as champions in the only World Cup played with just group stages.
- Each purchase contributes to support Covid-19 emergency response. More info.
- Includes a gift sticker with the illustration that inspired this piece
- Unique design by invited artists
- Pure and exclusive fashion product - no official claim
- Beautiful socks crafted in Portugal
- 80% Combed Cotton
- 17% Polyamide
- 3% Elastane
- Wash by hand, inside out, 40 degrees
- Do not put in the dryer
- Do not iron
- Do not dry-clean
- Do not use bleach